“Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish, I wish tonight…” To get the best views of the stars and all things celestial take a tour of Lowell Observatory.
What can I see and do at Lowell Observatory?
There is plenty to do at the observatory both during the day and at night. The events offered are out of this world.
- Daily guided tours: Guided tours run every hour from 10 a.m. to 4p.m. The following two tours are meant to be taken back to back.
- The Mars Tour runs at 10a.m., 1p.m., and 3p.m. (During the summer the Mars tour also runs at 5p.m.). This tour covers two historical telescopes and the observatory museum as well as information on the observatory and current research projects.
- The Pluto tour runs at 11a.m., 2p.m. and 4p.m. (During the summer the Pluto tour also runs at 6p.m.) You can see the Pluto Discovery Telescope, take a solar system walk to the Pluto Discovery telescope and learn about the history behind the discovery of Pluto. Fun fact: Pluto was discovered at Lowell Observatory in 1930.
- Solar Viewings: Interested in something other than the stars and the planets? There are solar viewings everyday from 12:15 until 12:50.
- Evening Telescope Viewings: Once the sun sets and the sky darkens, the telescopes open and you can view the night sky and all of its inhabitants. There will be educators there to help you figure out what you are looking at through the telescope.
- SlipherVision Planetarium Shows: Enjoy an immersive space theater with SlipherVision! Open year-round.
- Rotating Exhibits: Dive in to a new hands-on exhibit every couple of months. Find the latest schedule for rotating exhibits.
Where is Lowell Observatory?
It is at 1400 West Mars Hill Road. Head down Milton Road and when it starts to curve into Route 66, turn left. Then just follow the signs. You can’t miss it.
When is Lowell Observatory open?
- November through February:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday open Noon to 9:30 PM
Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday open Noon to 5:00 PM
- March-May and September-October:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday open 9:00a.m.to 9:30 PM
Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday open 9:00a.m.to 5:00 PM
- June through August:
Every day from 9:00a.m. to 10:00p.m.
How much does Lowell Observatory cost?
- Adults: $12
- Seniors, AAA, College students: $10
- Youth (5-17): $5
- Under 5: free
*If you keep your receipt from the day admission you can come back at night for free.
Who can I call if I have more questions?
If you have questions you can call (928) 774-3358.