What can I see and do at Lowell Observatory?
There is plenty to do at the observatory both during the day and at night. The events offered are out of this world.
- Daily guided tours: Guided tours run from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm every day. The following two tours are meant to be taken back to back.
- The Story of Pluto: 11:00 am and 2:00 pm. Take the path up the Solar System walk to the Pluto Discovery Telescope. Learn about the discovery of Pluto that occurred here at Lowell Observatory!
- The Lowell Tour: 12:00 pm and 3:00 pm. Visit the celebrated Clark Telescope Dome and Rotunda Library. Find out about the history of the observatory and current research projects.
- Constellation Tour: 9pm and 9:30pm. Head outside to learn the mythology of constellations.
- Solar Viewings: Interested in something other than the stars and planets? Solar viewings are available everyday at 10:00 am, 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm.
- Evening Telescope Viewings: Once the sun sets and the sky darkens, telescopes are open to view the night sky and all of its inhabitants. Educators will be onsite to help you figure out what you are looking at through the telescope.
- Space Guard Academy: This exhibit lets guests experience cutting edge asteroid research and science, like learning how to spot asteroids!
- Science Demonstrations: 6pm. join in on hands-on experiments to see how space research is really conducted.
- Stars and Galaxies: 6pm and 8pm. Learn how stars and galaxies are formed.
- Life in the Universe: 7pm. Ever wonder if we are alone in the universe?
Where is Lowell Observatory?
It is at 1400 West Mars Hill Road. Head down Milton Road and when it starts to curve into Route 66, turn left. Then just follow the signs. You can’t miss it.
When is Lowell Observatory open?
- Open Year-Round
- Monday-Saturday: 10:00am - 10:00pm (Putnam Collection Center open 1pm-4pm)
- Sunday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
How much does Lowell Observatory cost?
- Adults: $15
- Seniors, AAA, College students: $14
- Youth (5-17): $8
- Under 5: free
*Keep your receipt from the day admission and you can come back at night for free.*
Who can I call if I have more questions?
If you have questions you can call (928) 774-3358 or visit their website.