- Hike, camp and learn at Sunset Crater National Monument.
- The Monument features ancient lava beds and hiking trails to help you explore the volcano.
- Stay overnight at a local camp ground and hike O’Leary Peak trail to volcano dome.
What can I see and do at Sunset Crater?
Sunset Crater is a National Monument with heaps to offer visitors.
- Guided Hikes: The partnership between the park and forest service offers guided hikes for those who don’t want to venture out on their own.
- Lava Flow Trail: To walk where lava once flowed take this loop trail around the monument. It is about one mile round trip and is an easy 30 minute walk.
- Lenox Trail: For a more strenuous hike, take this trail up a cinder cone. It’s one mile round trip and takes roughly 45 minutes to complete because of the steep slopes.
- O’Leary Peak Trail: This trail is a part of the Coconino National Forest and can be accessed from the Sunset Crater visitor’s center. The peak trail leads up a lava dome volcano. It’s a ten-mile round trip hike. This rough trail takes about 4 or 5 hours.
- Visitor Center: The visitor center is a one-stop shop for information and exhibits about volcanoes and how they came to be.
- Camping: There is no camping in the area; however there is a campground close to the monument. Bonito Campground is on the East side of the Peaks and is extremely close to Sunset Crater. It is $20 per night and open from May until mid-October.
Where is Sunset Crater?
Take U.S. 89 North to leave Flagstaff. Stay on this highway for 12 miles and then turn right on Sunset Crater/Wupatki Loop road. Drive for 2 more miles to reach the visitor’s center.
When is Sunset Crater open?
It is open all year round except for Christmas Day. Below are the seasonal hours.
November – April: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00p.m.
May – October: 8:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.
How much does Sunset Crater cost?
Entrance to the monument is $20 per vehicle and the pass is good for 7 days.
Who can I call if I have more questions?
If you have questions you can call the visitor’s center at 928-526-0502.